Passions of an Odd Chick

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Out Of This World

Today I took Auggie and Cash to the UFO Museum in Roswell. I knew the trip was coming- because now the older one can read and he asked me if I would take him today when he saw the sign. Well, you have to know, I'm not that crazy about the whole thing. Not because I don't believe in aliens, because I think it's entirely possible, but this whole hype thing that Roswell has going... and then when you get in the museum, it's like a bad -junior -high- science- fair set-up. And you wouldn't believe the crowd it brings to Roswell during the festival - not your normal, touristy type - no- these are trekees and star warsies and aliens of all types. I really shouldn't be so negative because it's a good thing for Roswell, but as a native Roswellite, it's not my favorite thing.




But Auggie loved it.


He asked a million questions and we had good talks about other planets and the possibilities of life out there.






That just goes to show you - we lose our ability to be wowed somewhere along the way. It takes more and more to impress us as we get older. We're not cheap dates anymore, hell.... you've got to add real sophistication to the mix or you've seen one... you've seen em all......, our expectations just reach a level of certain disappointment in a thing... in a day, in a place... in a life.

Seeing things through their eyes... brings freshness to everything - you see the lights, you hear the sounds again, like it's a first time. Take a little kid somewhere - let them remind you of how to be wowed again. Have a close encounter of the third kind.

3 comments:

Robin Pedrero said...

what a fun blog!

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

That's a great perspective. So refreshing compared to the cynical rants many blogs have. Thank you for being open to your grandson's wonder and for passing it on to us.

Robin Pedrero said...

Nice to meet you too. Thank you for commenting on my work. I value the descriptive words you selected. As a visual person I need the verbal feedback to describe my work. I like the word edgy for "Cupcake in the City"!