Passions of an Odd Chick

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

My Evening with Picasso


Hey, Mr. Picasso, what do you think about my sketch? I tried to copy your style. I'm afraid I fell far short.
Picasso: "I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it. "
Odd Chick: So.. you don't mind that I tried to copy?
Picasso: "To copy others is necessary, but to copy oneself is pathetic".
Odd Chick: Okay...good.. I was hoping you would say that.. but my little sketch appears so child-like....
Picasso: "It took me four years to paint like Raphael, but a lifetime to paint like a child."
Odd Chick: That's inspiring. I have been so inspired by you.
Picasso: "Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working."
Odd Chick: I am working, I want to paint, but I don't have much spare time.
Picasso: "Never permit a dichotomy to rule your life, a dichotomy in which you hate what you do so you can have pleasure in your spare time. Look for a situation in which your work will give you as much happiness as your spare time."
Odd Chick: wow, I wish I could borrow your mind for a day.
Picasso: "If only we could pull out our brain and use only our eyes."
Odd Chick: So great painting comes from our "seeing"?
Picasso: "Painting is a blind man's profession. He paints not what he sees, but what he feels, what he tells himself about what he has seen."
Odd Chick: So great painting comes from our feelings or emotions about what we see, our imagination?
Picasso: "Everything you can imagine is real".
"The artist is a receptacle for emotions that come from all over the place: from the sky, from the earth, from a scrap of paper, from a passing shape, from a spider's web".
Odd Chick: so I paint from my emotions?
Picasso: "I paint objects as I think them, not as I see them".
Odd Chick: I'm confused - you mix a lot of truths. So the truth is that art comes from the soul and the mind?
Picasso: "If there was only one truth, you couldn't paint a hundred canvases on the same theme."
Picasso: "We all know that Art is not truth. Art is a lie that makes us realize the truth, at least the truth that is given to us to understand."
Odd Chick: You've given me a lot to think about...
Picasso: "Our goals can only be reached through a vehicle of a plan, in which we must fervently believe, and upon which we must vigorously act. There is no other route to success."
Odd Chick: Okay, I'll think and work.... how's that?
Picasso: The older you get the stronger the wind gets - and it's always in your face.
Odd Chick: thanks a lot...... i think.
Picasso: Is there anything more dangerous than sympathetic understanding?

12 comments:

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

So clever. I love the way you wrote dialogue to fit with his quotes.

Paula Villanova said...

WOW!This is the best post ever! How thoughtful and totally creative; I think Picasso would be pleased! It seems fitting to offer this quote I found:

"I don't say everything, but I paint everything."

--Pablo Picasso

Anetka said...

Peggy,
this post is wonderful!!!:)
and so is your sketch!!!

Donna Mulholland said...

That is one of the most inspiring things I have ever read. And I am at a fork in my road at the moment, so it is very timely!!

Clare said...

SENSATIONAL!!! You have created a masterpiece in words. And your sketch is pretty darn good too. Thanks for sharing.

a mouthy irish woman? ridiculous! said...

Picasso: "Our goals can only be reached through a vehicle of a plan, in which we must fervently believe, and upon which we must vigorously act. There is no other route to success."


man are those ever words to live by!

a mouthy irish woman? ridiculous! said...

and by the by? the sketch would not let me look away for a full three minutes. which is alot for me sister. fantastic!!!!

susan said...

This blog is great...love the dialogue back and forth!

Ernie Hendrix said...

How wonderfully creative!!!

L'Adelaide said...

wonderful and intimately insightful about Picasso...I still don't know what I think about him but I loved the post! Thank you for sharing.

xo

Anonymous said...

Great post! Enjoyed the view as well as the read!

Ellen

Lovlie said...

Wow! I enjoyed reading this! Very creative! :)