Passions of an Odd Chick

Wednesday, August 20, 2008




I am entering the world of altered books - wish me luck! It is only the two little boys (my grandsons) featured in the above re-constituted book cover, that could challenge me to take this trip.

I have read to them since they were very small and my hope is to make a scrap-book type, hero comic, adventure book of their real life adventures at the farm. I expect it to take me several years to fill all the pages, but I have for several months been taking pictures of certain events to begin the story.

It will be a labor of love and I hope, a keepsake and treasure for their older, more reflective years, and maybe, even a story to tell to their children. Wow, wouldn't that be cool -for some little darling creature, who bears my genes, 50-100 years from now, who is reading this book, who thinks, "she left this for me, she left a piece of life and love and legacy for me"? Now, that would make this a best-seller in my book of life.

7 comments:

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

What a wonderful project. It's the kind of thing that they will treasure more and more as they get older. Are you doing one or one for each child?

Anonymous said...

Hi Ruth,
I'm just doing one that will include their stories as brothers.

Anetka said...

Peggy, I am sure this book is going to be a real treasure for your grandsons! They will find a true value of it once they grow up. Beautiful idea, I just love it:)

Unknown said...

Awesome!

Clare said...

Beautiful Idea!!! As I am proud 'Hanny' of two wee grandsons too, I might just steal it, ;0)
You are more than welcome to steal the other 'etsy' book....the shipping to Australia is prob beyond my budget anyhoo!

L'Adelaide said...

what a fabulous idea....I have to give this some thought about my grandkids and if I can somehow do something like this..I was going to do a cookbook for their parents for christmas but I really click with this idea but am kind of stuck for ideas since I don't get to see them very often...

I am done blog resting, btw :) you can stop mourning now, dear one! I figured out what was bothering me...

xoxo

Steve Emery said...

Odd Chick, this is a fabulous idea. Just two weeks ago I went back through a scrap book, beautifully bound by my grandfather - pressed flowers and butterflies in a large clear acrylic mold he poured, set in a large wooden book cover with gold leaf border and my name in gold letters. It was done for my month long hospital stay at age six, when I had a brush with death (spinal meningitis, encephalitis, and myalitis - cured with a brand new experimental drug - cortizone). The memories brought back by that book, and the love my grandparents both had for me, mesmerized me for over an hour that afternoon. My grandmother wrote me a funny letter of some sort every day I was in the hospital, and they were lovely to read again, thirty one years later. This is a cool thing you are planning.