Passions of an Odd Chick

Sunday, July 6, 2008

Endings



My daughter, son-in-law, and grandsons came by on their way home from vacation to pick up my mother and take her home. I had only a few hours to play with my grandsons on the farm-yard and we packed as much fun in as possible. I'm a wonderful tired - after my company. It was so fun to have my Mom and I taught her how to make collage cards and to keep a gathering book and she was so excited about her new hobbies. It seemed funny-strange that now I am teaching her how to enjoy her time alone where she always taught me how to enjoy staying at home.


Yesterday was also my last sketch (from a sweater in Anthropologies's catalog) in my art journal. I'm kind of sad to see it go -it's been like reading a good book you never want to end. I have a new one waiting but I'm attached somewhat to my old one and all the cherished memories and sketches it holds inside.
But I suppose that is what attachments are all about. Our heart breaks a little everytime we say good-bye, but the only reason we feel it so deeply is the love and the joy that has been planted there by the person or memory and that is something that we never lose. I've said before that I want to love others and my life so much that my heart completely wears out with the effort. Mary Oliver wrote these words: "When it's over, I want to say, all my life I was a bride married to amazement. I was a bridegroom, taking the world into my arms".






2 comments:

Anetka said...

what a beautiful post! You must have enjoyed your sketchbook that's why it's so hard to let go...we leave pieces of ourselves on every page but then we have to look for a NEW DAY, and enjoy past entries! Don't be sad...there is another road ahead of you:) give it a go:) (don't forget to put your safety belt on:)

ArtPropelled said...

How wonderful to spend time with your mom and do things that you both enjoy. I love the sound of the gathering book.