Passions of an Odd Chick

Friday, June 27, 2008

Fruit-full



I loved sketching this little set-up of fresh fruit and dried apricots. It was even more fun choosing colors to paint them. My mom and dad enjoyed this one.
I'm blessed to have my parents visiting here from Texas. They are fun-loving, good people all the way through and I sometimes realize that these days with them won't last forever. I sometimes realize that being cherished from the moment of birth and loved so intensely is not something I should ever take for granted.
I'm so proud of my dad. He will be heading to Iowa to help take care of the flood victims. He is 72 years old with only one good foot. He will work all day, late into the night, feeding and providing supplies to desperate people. He helped in New Orleans after the hurricane, and he came back broken and humbled by the circumstances that those poor people struggled under. It changed him. He became much more compassionate with everyone and more grateful for his blessings. It changed something in me to see him modeling these lessons to us. He's really amazing. I know he feels a heavy burden for the suffering in Iowa and I know that his authentic faith pro-actively lives what he believes, and he can't stay away from there. I'm so proud of him. I know he will sacrifice his own health, time and money to care for those less fortunate. Did I mention that I'm so proud of him??

No comments: