Passions of an Odd Chick

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Contemplating....

Today I wanted to draw something peaceful in my art journal on this September 11th. What a frightening day that was when human turned against human all in the name of God. And still it goes on... and on...

Sometimes, I think we act more like heartless beasts and it's the animals that have the right Spirit in them.

I think if I could be an animal, I would want to be a giraffe.

Did you know the giraffe is vegan, s/he never harms anything, unless you go after her baby. She's got a two-foot heart inside her that helps pump blood to the head she lowers and raises so quickly. Her padded knees are actually wrists. When I saw the giraffe in Africa, I noticed they always walk away, but they always look back and then they just look ..... and look as you look and look and it is the most amazing, breath-holding moment. And then when she walks away, she looks like a tree has been uprooted and is now walking out of the landscape, and even her shadow had grace. (a line from a Josh Groban song)

So that is why I love a giraffe and why when I want to think of something good and right and peaceful, her portrait was my pleasure. It's a small gesture, really, but it does make me feel better.
Oh, good and glorious giraffe,
I'd like to speak on your behalf.
It's clear that there are very few.
Who decorate the world like you.
Johannes Eff, 1969

10 comments:

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I've always loved giraffes. So peaceful and elegant.

a mouthy irish woman? ridiculous! said...

i want to be the giraffe.

cottonpicker said...

I'm pretty peaceful till I think my kids are being threatened!! I always thought they were a curious looking animal.

Anonymous said...

Giraffe's are such odd looking creatures, it amazes me to watch them move!
Thanks for the happy birthday! :)

Unknown said...

I want to be a giraffe too ...

Kasey said...

I saw your site through Vanessa. You are very talented! Maybe if I took art in school I could get past the stick figures I'm so good at drawing!

Sandi said...

Lately I had been studying giraffes...and camels...I just love your rendering but also your words. Your work is great.

L'Adelaide said...

I want to be a giraffe too...so elegant and tall! I love your painting of her...her eyes are wonderful!

XOX

Nini said...

Well said... I want to be a giraffe too!

kartika said...

I love your blog and your art - the giraffe is wonderful - the eyes are full of soul - animals bring us such beauty and it is sad when humans harm them for no reason! Kartika