Passions of an Odd Chick

Friday, February 6, 2009

You Never Paint Alone


The beginnings of this happened the weekend my grandsons were here. They always want to paint so I got out the watercolors and we painted together and because they are always unconcerned about what they will paint - they just begin, with no thoughts of failure - it's always such a lesson for me to watch them. So, I begin with nothing in mind but to add color like Linda at Vulture Peak Muse and then just let the painting tell me where it wanted to go. She makes the most amazing art by following her heart. So I just followed this friend's suggestion- an unknown path for me- feeling a little lost, but curious and unafraid.
Everyone saw the castle in my under-painting and so today I tried to paint it in. I didn't know what I was doing but that never seems to stop me..... you see, I don't mind being lost- as my friends can tell you. The only way I'm going to learn my way is just walk my path - listening to the other voices along the way. I guess you never really paint alone.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

You always surprise me with your hints of self-deprecation .... This is a beautiful painting and I can see the great childlike purpose in following your heart. It's the grownups who get it wrong and leave heart out of it ..... and castles .... ah, that's what childlike hearts dream about.

L'Adelaide said...

hi, thank you for such a lovely little comment about my way of painting! I love your castle...it's lovely and looks just like YOU!
X

Vikki North said...

So true. We never paint alone.
Everything and everyone we love is with us every minute.
Vikki

Steve Emery said...

I LOVE this - it's one of my favorites of yours. See how you digested castles, soaked them up and then this is how they come back out. What a castle! Piled up like that - it would take a long time to climb up the stairs and walk-ways to get even near the top. And the way it runs off the top is perfect, too - makes it seem even taller. And all that happened by instinct. I like the light on it, too!

And that Linda is something, isn't she? She inspires me regularly, too. She's changed my painting a lot.

Unknown said...

That's lovely. :-)