Passions of an Odd Chick

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Tepilit, the Maasai warrior angel





Well, this is kind of the tail end of the angels running around in my head for right now, although someone mentioned a Red Baron type that I may have draw soon.


Tepilit means "endless plains" and this warrior will cover the globe protecting you - he has no fear of anything as his whole eternal life has been about losing fear and chasing down the things that cause fear.


Actually Tepilit is the name of a famous Maasai Warrior who wrote a book about the life of a Maasai warrior. I had the privilege of meeting a Maasai warrior named Joseph when I went to Africa and they are amazing, cool-headed, wise men who live in the bush of Africa and protect their cattle against lions with only a knife and spear. I drew this guy for Cathy, the woman who took me to Africa to meet Joseph. It was a life-altering experience.


Sweet farmer picked up the camera and took a picture of me drawing. He's getting discouraged with me drawing all these little sketches. He wants me to take days and draw big watercolors, and take my time. Silly man. Doesn't he know I need a quick art fix right now because I have some big tasks ahead of me (taxes, a booth at a show, cleaning closets, filling orders, etc.)? No, he doesn't know - because who sits down in the middle of all that and draws angels? It's one of my favorite avoidance behaviors!

8 comments:

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I've enjoyed your angels and hope more take up residence in your head.

And I love the photo of you at work.

a mouthy irish woman? ridiculous! said...

the most healthy avoidance behavior i've ever seen. and one that blesses you at that. you multi-tasker you....

xoxoxoxox

L'Adelaide said...

your trip to africa sounds like it was life altering and continues to linger in your subconscious to this day....I like this one best of all, because he looks like a man with a purpose, which it sounds like he has!

good luck on all those boring tasks you have in store....

Paula Villanova said...

I love the playful qualities in these sketches. Getting these ideas on paper like this will impact your bigger paintings so they are an important part of that much bigger process. What a nice way to avoid the other stuff you have to do!

Vikki North said...

When I was in college, one of my instructors told us that no matter what was going on- try to draw everyday. It's essential for the artist.

I like your warrior angel. He's an arc angel.
Vikki

Unknown said...

I love the fearless warrior ...... all your angels make a wonderful army.

He (farmer) would probably not be thrilled if you started making inchies either ;) .... I'm in a serious procrastination mode right now (about "serious" art) and inchies are like junk food binging before the big diet ....

*jean* said...

avoidance behaviors...gggg that's funny....i've made a lot of things in the last year....but don't ask me about my house or closets or garage or (fill in the cleaning or organizing blank).....

i have a dear friend who spent a year in africa when we were in high school...long time ago...it changed her life too...

cheers!

Steve Emery said...

Tepilit is lovely. Strong looking.

And what a treat to see you drawing.