Passions of an Odd Chick

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Chill Out- No. 12

No. 12 She Speaks For Herself
I was finishing up on this painting while I was talking to my daughter on the phone. She was describing how hard it is to know when to push her boys and when to let up. They are excellent parents, but both are driven in their own ways and now they are trying to translate that motivation to their sons and it's frustrating because the oldest is very laid back, slow, and day-dreams alot.
I told her to chill out. That his drive would come and his motivation would come - that he's just a little kid. (I'm grandma remember), that he's not suppose to think like a 30 year old.
And there I was still trying to get her to think like me even though there is 20 years difference.
Isn't it funny how we return to being laid back, slow and day-dream a lot when we're 50 or so?
This painting was boring and I had to add some bling and snow and chill this baby out a little. See? I'm motivated- it just comes after the day-dreaming.

10 comments:

Nancy said...

I love it, I love it.....this one has character and determination....You got it going on with this one girlfriend....

Isn't it interesting that this one came from a conversation with your daughter versus just thinking her up....The realness shows......

Joji said...

This is great. Laid back....I'm all for it. Einstien said. " Knowledge is limited but imagination incompasses the world"

Bren Graham Thebeau said...

Oh I so identify with you, 50 does bring a return to the chilling out and day dreaming, isn't it great? We didn't loose it forever! This girl is just too cool :-) love the imagery and the bling.

Diane said...

Oh, you put a smile on my face this morning!!

Buffy said...

Another beautiful one,I love the bling you added. All these girls have a message that need to be heard. I like that about them. Yes it is weird that as we get older,we get more laid back. I thought I was just getting lazy but I like more laid back better.

chrissy said...

i loved that i could picture you and beautiful joli having this mother/daughter discussion...and i love that you had a paintbrush in your hand as you shared your advice...
you are the best.
love your piece.
xo
c

Rebecca Anthony said...

WOW!!!!!!!

lori said...

I think no matter what age your kids are it's hard to not "parent"...great post and thanks for visiting me at mine.

Carolyn said...

She looks like someone I went to school with...she always liked to look like a model with her hair swept up but yet framing her face with long bangs that went from ear to ear. She had a pony tail with glittery ribbons and sometimes glitter on her cheeks...this is her. Her name was Brenda. She didn't like her name - didn't think there was enough glamour in her name. She was in art club.
We didn't use the term "chill out" way back then - but she would have! She was already chillin'.

I know it's your story - but some of these girls have a life of their own. This one did - she just twinkled a little and whispered, "Remember me?"

Steve Emery said...

She's great! Quite unexpected. Far from boring in the end...