Passions of an Odd Chick

Saturday, November 1, 2008

Trip to the Mountain Top

To love and be loved is to feel the
sun from both sides. -David Viscott

I've been to Colorado to see my son. He works on a resort ranch called Lost Valley Ranch. It was a wonderful visit with him, and a refreshing and restorative time for my soul and great couple time with Greg.


Tucker is happier and more peaceful than I've ever seen him and it did my heart good to see him in his home turf - healthy physically, mentally, and spiritually.


We ate healthy food cooked by a 4 star chef, and rode horseback and hiked everyday. The place has no televisions and no one has cell service. It is rated a 4 diamond resort and the staff take excellent care of you. I highly recommend it.


And the scenery of Colorado never fails to take your breath away. We took a slow drive home on the scenic routes. This was Phantom Canyon, a place between Cripple Creek and Florence, Colorado.

Sometime, I feel like my heart will burst because God's blessings overwhelm me on a daily basis. But on my walk early this morning back on my own home stretch (working the saddle sore out), I let the tears flow as I closed my eyes for seconds and I expressed my gratitude and through my teary vision, I saw the most brilliant sunrise up ahead. I decided then that I won't dim the brilliance of this time in my life any longer, either guilty that others are struggling, or fearful that one giant disaster is waiting around the corner. Nope, I told the Lord this morning that I will open the blinds and let His blessings fall full down upon me and bask in the glow of this blessed time in my life. I know I can't always remain on the mountain tops like I saw in Colorado this last week, but I can embrace the full journey, especially the one today. I have nothing to fear in my tomorrows, if He chooses to give me life again. It is all good because He is good.






11 comments:

Barb Hartsook said...

I have just concluded the same... in a day of such uncertainty, I looked out on October for the whole month and was continually blessed with colors and light and the incredible beauty of fall. And I had an early morning chat with my Lord too, thanking him for my family and my ability to enjoy his created beauty. Then I asked for continued ability to see the good, the true, the virtuous, the beautiful. And to appreciate his hand on all of it. (One of my favorite scriptures -- what to focus on and the peace it brings me. Philippians 4:8,9. It has taught me to learn to see wildflowers in the meadow rather than weeds in a field, and to say thank you for them. )

I really enjoy your posts...
Barb

Anetka said...

Peggy, I am so happy for you, that you can feel so deeply and appreciate the simplest things in life and consider them as the most precious treasure.

thank you for sharing.
God bless you.

Paula Villanova said...

What a nice way to realize and convey your appreciation of the many blessings in your life. Thanks for posting and reminding me to look around at the many gifts that I often take for granted.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I'm glad your son is doing well. I love your insight about beauty and blessings.

Vikki North said...

Really beautiful blog segment and very inspirational. It must have been wonderful to spend the time with your son and the resort sounds amazing. (I always love your photography)

I cry when I think of these things also. I can’t read the bible without finding myself in tears. He’s just overwhelming for our little human emotions, huh?
Vikki

a mouthy irish woman? ridiculous! said...

thank you, from this woman who has not been to church in forever, until this morning when she read your post.

i have been blessed by the beauty of your message.

cottonpicker said...

We all need those hilltop experiences and I hope you can linger a little longer on yours before heading down to the valley. The journey both ways is always scenic.

Shelley said...

God is good! Thanks for sharing your experiences on your trip!

Steve Emery said...

Wow - with this and your next post, you really are getting across the message of letting go and enjoying whatever God sends. I know what you mean about the big disaster, and waiting in dread of it all the time. I can't quite seem to get out from under that shadow many days - even though I have no real reason to fear anything in particular. Just waiting for my turn... Silly, really, but not mine to toss off. He'll have to lift it off me. This reminds me again of my bull in the pasture status, spiritually - working out my confusion about church by spending time in the fields and among real people of all sorts. Posts like yours help it all make sense, and (more importantly) make the blessings seem more obvious, regardless of the rest.

Unknown said...

That was a real "mountain-top experience." What a blessing!

Margaret Ann said...

What a beautiful gratitude filled post...thanks for taking us along for the ride...the vistas were spectacular!