Passions of an Odd Chick

Friday, August 28, 2009

Trust & Insecurity



I watched a trailer of a video that I wanted to buy. A man named Cheng -Khee Chee was dashing beautiful delicious color on very wet paper and then taking it off and then adding dimension and detail of his favorite subjects - coys. It was only minutes but I had to try it. What did I have to lose but a 1/2 sheet of 340lb watercolor paper?

I decided to paint a horse - go figure. But I wanted to give up control and let the horse come floating out of the picture like this talented man's coys came to life before my eyes.

So I painted quickly, intuitively.

I painted with a bigger brush. I put massive amounts of color on and then I took it off. Crazy, huh?

I stopped myself and walked away even though I was having so much fun. He was still sorta damp when I took the picture. (click him to get more detail)

And don't laugh at this one... I kept my blurry reading glasses on so I could keep some softness.

And I like him. You don't hear me saying that very often. But he doesn't have all those hard edges and tiny bush strokes that I don't like. I didn't draw him, and erase him and over-draw him again - he just came out, because I trusted myself. I TRUSTED MYSELF!! Can you party with me right now!! Can you slap my butt while we do the happy dance? This is huge!! ....now i'm feeling uncertain....like maybe you won't like it and won't see what i see....that it's really better.., i think.... BUT, i'm gonna trust myself and push the publish button. .... and then wonder, is he finished....., is he just interesting to me,.... like is he good today, but not good tomorrow... hmmm...i'm already tired of looking at him... he just told me he didn't care whether i like him or not... he is what he is... He is what he is... today, and I'm enough today.

16 comments:

Michelle said...

Wow...yes, he really IS good :)

L'Adelaide said...

darlin, I am going out on a limb here, since you've painted some great things, and say that this, THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IS YOUR BEST WORK YET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[dancing and slapping your butt, girl]
I know the man you are speaking of, he inspires me too, how he does it so fast and so expertly and it comes out...I watch and think, he's been doing it since he was 6 or something BUT I have never tried it quite that way...I do have my own way of flinging paint, we sort of all know that, but he flings with intention, a subtle and distinct difference I'm thinking and you know what? I think you went and did it too!

I am off to do it too, right now, drag myself off my bed in this infernal heat and do it!

very cool and very good you shared....I love it!
~~~

I was going to post a comment on the previous painting there but why not here...I liked him too but I didn't feel the little strokes matched the massive power behind the 'horse'...the muscle, the strength, the glory of the animal you photographed that I lust after, I did love the color and freedom you used with that but there was something else and NOW I see it....those strokes ... I am comparing them to this one now, same colors about, but totally different feel, a sweeping feel like the quick swish of a horse's tail....this one is your best yet. period. inspiring. with gratitude you shared.;)

Odd Chick said...

oh YEAHHHHH... doing the happy dance with Linda and Michelle. You don't have to like him you know... anyone... but I'm so happy that you see progress. thank you so much Linda for your true feelings about both horse paintings

Odd Chick said...

oh YEAHHHHH... doing the happy dance with Linda and Michelle. You don't have to like him you know... anyone... but I'm so happy that you see progress. thank you so much Linda for your true feelings about both horse paintings

Karin Bartimole said...

I'm loving him - and your happy dance of trust and joy!! The saturation of color, the soft edges the free feel in the whole painting - just glorious! and it looks to me like you enjoyed the process - it somehow exudes that. loving what your doing Peggy!!

Ernie Hendrix said...

I would lose confidence in your judgment if you DIDN'T like him. He's wonderful. The class you took on color has really loosened up your style and you using color beautifully and powerfully.

Ernie
Gypsy Gold Studio

Unknown said...

really really cool .... I LOVE it (him)

Renee Howell said...

You ROCK! Great art! Great writing - loved the small print then "THAT OTHER VOICE" we all carry with us started to comment.

Again - GREAT ART!

You DID IT! - the art AND the process.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I like this. I haven't tried watercolor yet, so I didn't really understand the technique you were describing, but I think your phrase about letting "the horse come floating out of the picture" is the perfect description.

Poetic Artist said...

I really love this.. Your work is wonderful..Love the post.
Katelen

ooglebloops said...

He is beautiful- very ethereal- and he is floating!!! I'll have to check out that video.................

jane said...

i think it´s perfect! :)

DALowe Artist said...

I'm here with you all doing the happy dance! This painting is fantastic! But more than that YOU TRUSTED YOURSELF! even when that inner critic took over - I'm proud of you!!!!!!!!! Excellent job!!
Nothing like splashing color around and trust yourself!

Sorrow said...

~smile~

The Victorious place said...

Love it.

nina kuriloff said...

i like this painting very much!