Passions of an Odd Chick

Saturday, December 13, 2008

There is a six-foot, fresh Frazier Fir keeping us company tonight. Thanks to Martha Steward it is dressed up in its fancy pants. Sweet Farmer said as I was preparing to unload the tree, "Don't get a tree this year. I know you're doing it just for me. I read your blog".
I said, "Too late- it's in the back of the suburban."
He said, "OH NO, I don't really like real trees. They get too dry and lots of lights make a real tree a fire hazard".
Can you believe it??
I wanted to say it wasn't all about him. But it was.......
I said, "How many houses burned down last year from real trees and Christmas lights?"
"Hundreds", he said.
But he helped me decorate, and tried to tell me how.
And, suddenly, unexpectedly, it felt just like Christmas.
And we both feel better now. We may have to have some spirits with our new Christmas Spirit and toast our new fir tree.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks beautiful - I am debating on the tree to put up- husband is recovering from shoulder surgery - don't feel like dragging out the tons of ornaments - I think it will be a small, manageable, faux tree this year!

Unknown said...

I love your tree! I miss having colored lights - that's what i grew up with - but my farmer grew up with white lights - guess what we have on our tree!?! ;)

Paula Villanova said...

Yeah...what is it about those Christmas Trees? The beauty and lovely atmosphere they seem to create is so special....I must admit though, after many years of real trees, I have a faux now...just because I liked it so much when I saw it and it seems to work for us. I do love those real firs though...

Vikki North said...

Hi Odd Chick,
Your tree is beautiful and I bet your house smells wonderful with it's aroma.

Wishes to you and your family for a wonderful Christmas day.
Vikki

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Funny how doing something for someone we love can suddenly make it seem like Christmas. I love your tree.

Jeannelle said...

What a lovely photo, not only the beautiful tree, but the poinsettia, the piano, the painting.....nice combo.

Best wishes for a wonderful holiday season!