Passions of an Odd Chick

Sunday, May 3, 2009

Birds for Church Members



Today I was cutting a hayfield- first one this season. I know God wants us to take a day of rest, but it won't be this day. But I did have a small church family join me, a red-tailed hawk, a bald buzzard and some large crows (not pictured). They were there for the church picnic I provided after my chopper uncovered small rodents that ran out from under the canopy of green hay, or minced those unseen and less fortunate. They would play and pluck and carry their new prey off like some scary animated movie above my head. They remind me of the seagulls that follow a fisherman's wharf, these large birds always show up to strut around and defend their small piece of raggedy game on the fresh shorn turf. I was glad for the company and entertainment. I was listening to Family Life Radio with its modern inspirational hymns and heard songs like: "Life is Good, Life is Sweet like the earth beneath my feet" and I had to agree. And I would change it to my public radio station and listen to classical music. It can feel very surreal to float over a Windsor green hayfield to Bach's "What Joy is Mine, O Friend of Mortals". I ate my carrots and my unroasted nuts because I'm determined to watch my nutrition - it helps so much for stable blood sugar and not feeling sleepy and groggy when I work in a machine 10 or more hours a day. It's a good tired at the end of the day, and even though I missed going to church, I had many sacred moments just alone with my thoughts and silent prayers for sick friends and my son who is at loose ends these days. I miss my drawing and painting but I had hours to dream of new compositions. So, it wasn't a day of rest but yet I feel regenerated. This must be what the Psalmist meant when he prayed that God would bless the work of his hands. I hope you had a blessed day also.

6 comments:

Ernie Hendrix said...

Whenever I'm feeling a little down or need a lift, I can always count on your blog and your wonderful outlook on life. Thanks so much.

Ernie

LINDA BYLSMA said...

You has such a way with words. You describe your day in such a way, I feel as if I am with you. I'm so glad I found you.

ooglebloops said...

Our hay is still about 3 weeks away from cutting- if the rain ever lets up!!!It is peaceful, just endlessly circling and mowing. I am always saddened tho, by the 'mincing'- which in our case, unfortunately, is usually a fawn or two. The buzzards are always waiting.....

Steve Emery said...

What a beautiful glimpse of your farming/ranching life, and your own special sabbath in the hay. But those birds... such opportunists! Then again, so are we...

Unknown said...

What a beautiful post here! It sounds like you had a lovely "service" complete with music, allegory and an internalized preach ... you even had a cathedral of green below and blue sky above you. Lovely!

L'Adelaide said...

i love your farming posts, since we also farm but a different crop...yet everything is so different...we are very small with our vineyard and you have your giant tractors my grandkids would adore!!!! and the green of that field is amazing...i bet the birds would be fun to watch although i feel for the little mice...i always have to remind myself how out of control mice can get, even if they are cute....it is beautiful....